Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-users Digest, Vol 4, Issue 26

From: SN ORT <snort_on_acid () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:22:14 -0700 (PDT)

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:16:35 -0500
From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] rules downloads and
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net

--On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 06:29:55 -0700 SN ORT

<snort_on_acid () yahoo com> wrote:

I tell ya personally I wouldn't be relying on
anything
too heavily when it involves FREE software/services.
would always expect the worse to happen and be
prepared for it. Snort can drop the product at the
drop of a hat and wouldn't be any worse off for it.
bet they've been planning for years as to how
they're
going to do just that. So far, it looks like a very
slow and gradual move from free software to paid.

I leave the real protections of our networks to
devices and services we pay for.

I thought of all sorts of nasty retorts, but I'll
refrain from
insulting
you and simply say, you couldn't possibly be more
wrong.  And I say
this as
someone who knows Marty Roesch as well as his
philosophy personally and
uses both the free snort product *and* the commercial
RNA product.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas