Snort mailing list archives

Re: keeping tuned signatures after update of snort.conf

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:33:10 -0400

Base has some dependencies, but there are more pros than cons.

Oinkmaster, use 'modifysid' to turn the rule off, look in the documentation or even in the oinkmaster.conf file.

I was under the assumption if the rule is edited and ID remains the
same it will not be overwritten on next oinkmaster update..Am i
mistaken here?

If a rule is edited and the ID remains the same, the rule WILL be overwritten (hence why I recommend you edit a COPY of
our rule, as opposed to editing our direct rule, because if you modify our rule, then use oinkmaster, all your changes
just got zapped).

I'd rather edit manually, but I have alot of stuff that does it for me.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 02:50:37PM -0400, martin apparently sent me:
Thanks Joel.
I tried SC 2 ...as crappy as SC 1 really. Lots of bugs and still does
nothing for me.
I tried installing base but got a lot of dependency issues and gave
up. I will try again.
On oinkmaster how would I shut off your rules specifically?
I was under the assumption if the rule is edited and ID remains the
same it will not be overwritten on next oinkmaster update..Am i
mistaken here?
I haven't done IDSPM yet because it is Windows based. I wonder why
there is no proper linux-based console...But I will provision machine
and do it. Would you recommend that over editing manually?
thanks
Martin