Snort mailing list archives

Re: rules for Snort Inline

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:27:54 -0400

Any rule can be converted to an inline rule by changing the keyword.
In my opinion I wouldn't like someone else making a decision about
what to drop (control) on _my_ network.

Joel

On Sep 4, 2006, at 8:07 AM, Risto Vaarandi wrote:

hi all,
I have had Snort running in IDS mode for some time, and would now like
deploy it in Inline mode for actually dropping malicious traffic.
However, the Snort rules available at http://www.snort.org/rules/ have
been configured to produce alerts only, and the user has to test each
rule whether the 'drop', 'reject' or other such action would be
suitable
for his/her environment.
Since testing rules one by one involves a lot of time, I started to
look
for rule collections designed specifically for Snort Inline, and
located
the rulesets at BleedingSnort (http://www.bleedingsnort.com/
rules/). My
question is - are there any similar projects around for creating rules
for Snort Inline?
I understand that for some rules it is difficult to verify that they
don't block anything legitimate, yet there could be rules which almost
never produce false positives. If someone has created a collection of
such rules, I'd be thankful for the pointers.
br,
risto

---
security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your
job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache
Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?
cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642

joel esler          senior security consultant         1-706-627-2101
Sourcefire    Security for the /Real/ World -- http://www.sourcefire.com
        Snort - Open Source Network IPS/IDS -- http://www.snort.org
            aim:eslerjoel  ymsg:eslerjoel gtalk:eslerj