Snort mailing list archives

Re: OpenPcap() (doc typo)

From: "Justin Heath" <justin.heath () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:53:38 -0400

No problem.

Thanks for the report on the typo.

On 6/21/06, Gentoo-Wally <gentoowally () gmail com> wrote:

FYI this was exactly the problem. Just wanted to post to note that
there is a typo in the 2.6.0 doc's in the config detection section...

– ac-sparebands Aho-Corasick Sparse-Banded (small memory, high
performance)

Should probably be...

– ac-sparSebands Aho-Corasick Sparse-Banded (small memory, high
performance)

Thx for the help,
Wally

On 6/20/06, Gentoo-Wally <gentoowally () gmail com> wrote:
> That is probably exactly what I'm looking for. Thx for the reminder.
>
> Wally
>
> On 6/20/06, Justin Heath <justin.heath () gmail com> wrote:
> > This was posted from Steve Sturges a little while back on snort-users:
> >
> >  "As noted in the RELEASE.NOTES, there was a change in the
> >  default pattern matching engine from Wu-Manber to standard
> >  Aho-Corasick which is faster but consumes more memory.
> >
> >  This effectively replaced an implicit config of
> >
> >  config detection: search-method mwm
> >
> >  with
> >
> >  config detection: search-method ac
> >
> >  The Aho-Corasick implementation in snort has a few different
> >  memory models, standard, full, banded, sparse, and sparse
> >  banded.  The sparse and spare-banded ones consume much less
> >  memory... To use them, add a snort.conf line, as desired,
> >  for example.  Wu-Manber is being deprecated in the next
> >  release.
> >
> >  config detection: search-method ac-sparsebands
> >
> >  There is also the lowmem method, which is slow, but uses
> >  very little memory."
> >

> > On 6/20/06, Gentoo-Wally <gentoowally () gmail com> wrote:
> > > Thx. So do you think a jump from 25% usage in 2.4.5 to 90% usage in

> > strange.

--enable-dependency-tracking
> > libpcap

1-706-627-2101