Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort not seeing everything

From: Eric Hines <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:06:19 -0500

This doesn't look right. Why would you install a Tap, then hang the
Snort sensor off the switch? The purpose of the tap is to tap in to the
network and replace span ports on your switch. The Snort sensor is
supposed to be hanging off the monitoring port of the Tap.

Best Regards,

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
1095 Pingree Road
Suite 213
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Toll Free: (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Direct: (847) 854-2725 ext:327
Fax: (847) 854-5106
Web: http://www.appliedwatch.com
Email: eric.hines () appliedwatch com

"Enterprise Open Source Security Management"

fname lname wrote:
Our office resently moved to a new location and now my snort not seeing
everything so it must be something I didnt setup right.

They way I have it setup is right off of the pix inside cable its going
to a
passive tap that i build from the docs on snorts site from there its going
to the networks switch.  From that we have a few servers plugged in and
another switch where a few more servers are and the lastly another switch
where the workstations are plugged into.

INTERNET---pix---TAP---switch1
                            |            |
                          IDS     switch2

                                    switch3

The above drawing is how the network is setup based on funds;  Based on the
drawing if a workstation on switch3 goes to www.google.com should I see
that
traffic because I have a TAP in the inside wire of the pix which is the
last
route to the internet?

Hmm, im thinking should I change the above network to look like this?

INTERNET---pix---TAP---switch1---switch3
                          IDS   switch2

Thank you for help in advance.