Snort mailing list archives

Re: Memory leak in snort?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:37:42 -0500

snort user wrote:
I take it back.
I meant "that might be one possible place" and not "that might be only
possible place"

As it turns out, that's precisely what the problem is. I commented out both stream4 preprocessor lines in the snort.conf file and restarted snort, and swapinfo reported 58MB of swap in use for over 24 hours. I uncommented them, restarted snort, and swap usage began to climb again. It was up to 1.6GB when I commented them out again and restarted snort.

Hopefully someone at snort can take a look at this and figure out where the memory leak is.

If you need details from me, email me. This is a FreeBSD box running dual amd/64 processors.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer