Snort mailing list archives

Re: consensus on BASE

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:54:10 -0500

John Newman wrote:
Is the consensus that BASE is the best web front-end for snort out there
(and I mean free, open source stuff)?  What are people's experiences
with sguil (which I realize is not web based).

thanks,

I think Base is probably the most popular open source front-end (although I don't have any data to back that up.) It's certainly easy to install and use. The problem with Base is that it gives you a sliding window of your events data, which tends to obscure real-time events from view unless they are large enough to draw attention (or you just happen to notice them._ So, it's good for summarizing what's going on, but not as good for real-time analysis of discrete events.

Sguil is very difficult to install. It requires quite a bit of preparation and installation of ancilliary apps to make it work. (I'm trying to solve that on FreeBSD by developing ports for it that take care of all the dependencies.) That's a consequence of the decision to use tcl as the programming language, since it's not commonly installed on most platforms. (It also uses some other apps which are not so common; sancp, p0f, tcpdump

Once it's installed and configured (which is also a bit of work and requires a clear understanding of what you're doing), it provides a completely different, more detailed look at the data, in real time. It's easy to pick out events that need immediate followup and drill down into packets to see what's really going on.

So, I would say, Base is good for folks new to snort and especially new to admining OSes, and sguil is good for folks who clearly understand what they're doing and want as much information about events as they can get.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer