Snort mailing list archives

frag3 alerts

From: "Drew Burchett" <DrewB () united-systems com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 11:18:10 -0500

I am seeing a lot of frag3 Fragmentation overlap alerts with my DNS
server as the destination and a source address that reverses to a root
server.  When examining the packets, the traffic seems to be valid DNS
traffic, although it has nothing to do with any domains that I host.  Is
this some sort of attack, or is it valid traffic that is throwing false
positives?  If it is a false positive, is there any way I can fine-tune
the frag3 preprocessor to avoid these?

Drew Burchett

United Systems & Software

http://www.united-systems.com

Phone:  (270)527-3293

Fax:     (270)527-3132

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner and is believed to be clean.