Snort mailing list archives

Re: Preprocessors

From: Nigel Houghton <nigel () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 01:23:30 -0500

   1. Preprocessors (Rob Ward)
   2. RE: Preprocessors (Briggs, Bruce)

--__--__--

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 11:05:35 +0100
From: Rob Ward <rob.ward () liverpool ac uk>
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Preprocessors

I've also posted this on the forum so apologies for the cross posting. Can
anyone offer some general advice on how to go about dealing with alerts
generated by preprocessors? Alerts generated by rules seem to be easier to
deal with as I can reference a specific vulnerability/exploit and take it
from there.

Also I'm being swamped by http_inspect alerts and I'm pretty sure 99% if
not more of these are false positives. How do you determine the gen/sig id
of preprocessor alerts for thresholding?

Regards

Rob Ward
University of Liverpool
Computing Services Department

Your starting point should be the README documents for the
pre-processors that can be found in the doc directory of the snort
source. You will find a lot of information regarding tuning and with
http_inspect especially, you will see options to turn off certain
events.

Message: 2