Snort mailing list archives

RE: Rules for Snort 2.6 RC1

From: "Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA)" <jonathan.w.miner () baesystems com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:10:53 -0400

From:  Frank Knobbe [mailto:frank () knobbe us]
Sent:  Thu 04/27/2006 11:06 AM
To:    Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA)
Cc:    snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject:       RE: [Snort-users] Rules for Snort 2.6 RC1

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 09:08 -0400, Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA)
wrote:
I have also tried the most recent Bleeding Snort ruleset, but
discovered that Snort seems to be crashing on SID:2002087 (Spambot
Inbound).  Still investigation that.

Do you have SMTP_SERVERS defined in snort.conf?

Yes, I do... but that particular rule does not depend on SMTP_SERVERS.  I should clarify that the crash occures when
the rule is triggered, not when it is parsed.

alert tcp !$HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET 25 (msg: "BLEEDING-EDGE POLICY Inbound Frequent Emails -- Possible Spambot
Inbound"; flags: S,12; threshold: type threshold, track by_src,count 10, seconds 60; classtype: misc-activity; sid:
2002087; rev:4;)