Snort mailing list archives

Re: Detecting Skype: anyone know how "Tom Online" do it?

From: Chris Edwards <chris () eng gla ac uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:11:29 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Jason Haar wrote:

| According to http://tinyurl.com/p7umu, "Tom Online" is the Skype partner
| in China whose product is able to do word filtering on Skype traffic -
| i.e. to be able to block Skype chats containing "illegal" words.
|
| As Skype traffic is supposed to be AES encrypted, that sounds rather
| spectacular.
|
| Does anyone have other details on this? Have they reverse-engineered it,
| and can we take advantage of such information with snort? ;-)

Hi,

When I first read your post I thought it meant detecting certain words
when *spoken* via skype - which would be kinda tricky, encrypted or not!

Now I see this refers to the instant (text) messaging which skype calls "chat".

I suspect the censorship refered to in the article involves the collusion
of skype.com themselves, who (it would seem) are able to decrypt the text
message chat.