Snort mailing list archives

Re: Looking for info on Flowbits

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:44:35 -0400

dajackman wrote:
I am interested in reading more about the flowbits option.  I have
poked around a little on the net and haven't satisfied my curiosity.
Does any one know a good writup/doc on the flowbit and or the flow
preprocessor.  What started my search was trying to understand how the
below rule works.

I'm guessing on the nature of your question, but one thing that confused me about flowbits to begin with is that the
flowbit names you see pop up in rules are themselves defined by the rules, they aren't some magical reserved words that
the flow preprocessor knows about.

You can "set" a flowbit as the action part of any rule, and pick any name you want.

If you otherwise reference a flowbit in any other rule, it should be defined previously (somewhere), else it will never
match (or more correctly, never be "isset").

If you see a flowbit reference you aren't sure about, grep the rules to find out which rules define it.

Jeff