Snort mailing list archives

Re: BASE/AAnval MySQL dbase management

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:25:16 -0500

--On April 20, 2006 9:59:19 AM -0400 John Hally <JHally () epnet com> wrote:

I'm curious as to how people are managing the mysql backend data that
snort reports.  I've been mulling over adding syslog entries to the mix,
but with the amount of denies I see at the borders/firewalls, the
database is going to get unwieldy pretty fast.  Not being a DBA but
knowing enough to get things up and running, is there any 'canned'
scripts out there to help me out? I'm thinking along the lines of
possibly archiving daily/weekly, having the dbase drop entries older than
X, or something to that effect.

I have written a perl script that archives the db based upon your choice of length of time (I use 7 days.) I just completed a php script that allows you to delete all the alerts from a single IP. I'll be releasing it in the near future, after I've done some cleanup and documented it better.

You can find the archive script in the downloads section at http://www.ntsug.org/.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas