Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort duplicate signatures in table

From: "Vladimir" <pvm () napravlenie ru>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:18:35 +0400

There are two possible solutions:

1. You use BPF filter to avoid that both instances see the same
   traffic (why do you want to be alerted on both interfaces for
  the same packet?)

I use snort on 2 interfaces because I wait that some attacks can be going
from DMZ to local net.
If snort will listen only on external interface, then I risk pass potential
attacks from DMZ to local net.
But I have a lot of traffic from external to DMZ networks. And a lot of
duplicates alerts.
May be I have some errors in configuration snort? Does really important that
snort listen on DMZ interface?

2. You insert all signatures in the database before you start snort.
   -> In this case all queries for signatures will succeed.

I think about this. But every time then I update snort rules, I need to
insert fresh signatures to the database... I can do that. As a last
resort...
But I wan't to solve this problem by correct snort configuration...