Snort mailing list archives

snort-2.6rc1 using a lot of memory

From: "Nerijus Krukauskas" <nkrukauskas () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:47:02 +0300

  While running a test instance of snort-2.6rc1 (and the same was with
2.6beta) on Linux, noticed that it is very memory hungry. At the
moment it's 865Mb in resident size with almost all preprocessors
enabled and almost all VRT, community and bleeding rules. Is that
normal and we should expect that 2.6 series will demand that much RAM?
Of course, with this kind of setup one can expect that snort will
consume a bit bigger amount of RAM, but not in such numbers. For
example, 2.4.4 running with the same config (as much as it is
possible, taking into account the differences between 2.4 and 2.6
series) is 125Mb in resident size. That's nearly 7 times less.

  If any of the developers are interested in my config -- just tell me. :)

--
http://nk99.org/