Snort mailing list archives

FAQ error? -z est?

From: "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell () secnap net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:56:32 -0500

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember a change in the -z switch
to snort.

I also seem to remember it being replaced by a snort.conf option.

If this is so, could the FAQ and documentation maintainer make changes?

Example:

http://www.snort.org/docs/faq/1Q05/node47.html#stream4

There is a new command line switch that is used in concert with the
stream4 code, ``-z''. The -z switch can take one of two arguments:
``est'' and ``all''. The ``all'' argument is the default if you don't
specify anything and tells Snort to alert normally. If the -z switch is
specified with the ``est'' argument, Snort will only alert (for TCP
traffic) on streams that have been established via a three way handshake
or streams where cooperative bidirectional activity has been observed
(i.e. where some traffic went one way and something other than a RST or
FIN was seen going back to the originator). With ``-z est'' turned on,
Snort completely ignores TCP-based stick/snot ``attacks''.

-z est doesn't work as of snort ver (2.3?)
-z all doesn't work as of snort ver 2.3
Documentation says using -z user default (all) not true?

Correct option should be -z enables est mode.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
561-999-5000, ext 1131