Snort mailing list archives

RE: Flow Established Help

From: "Ramon L. Fernandez" <buddy () uswebpc com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:35:09 -0500

Jason,

Thank you for your input.

You mentioned the drawbacks to asynchronous mode. I am assuming the
drawbacks are limitations on the flexibility of rule writing? Or is more
like snort is not as accurate in stateful analysis in this mode? If neither,
could you give me an example?

My overall goal was to establish how effective snort would be if run
monitoring incoming traffic only. Because of this setup, I am attempting to
write some custom rules, and I wanted to know what modifiers would be useful
and which ones would prohibit the rule from ever being true, hence the
'flow:to_server' question.

Here is another one for you, in an incoming traffic only setup, are there
any pre-processors which can be considered useless to leave enabled? I have
been playing with this setup and it seems to work good so far, but then
again, there could be plenty I am missing and I do not even know it. From
what I have seen in the docs on snort, it seems to me that this could lead
to problems with the stream processor.

For example, certain rules just never went off when using the
'flow:to_server, established' keyword, and then once I removed it, those
rules began trigger without issue. This leads me to believe the
'flow:to_server, established' keyword in my setup is actually inhibiting
snort from triggering the rules because it cannot see the server-side,
outgoing traffic. It seemed even removing the established did not help. Only
when I removed the 'flow:' keyword all together did the sensor pick up the
rules.

Any more input you could offer would be appreciated and thank you for taking
the time to answer my questions.

Cheers,

Ramon Fernandez