Snort mailing list archives

RE: Stopping Snort

From: "Kretzer, Jason R (Big Sandy)" <jason.kretzer () kctcs edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:01:22 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Heselton [mailto:charles.heselton () gmail com]
Sent: Wed 3/29/2006 9:40 PM
To: Kretzer, Jason R (Big Sandy); 'Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor'; snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Stopping Snort

________________________________

        From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net] On Behalf Of Kretzer, Jason
R (Big Sandy)
        Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:24 PM
        To: Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor;
snort-users () lists sourceforge net

        Depends on what OS, you are on.  Also, in the case of linux, what
set of scripts are used to start/stop.  Just in case I guess though I will
list a couple of ways that I know of for linux.

        For Debian, change to root and change directory to /etc/init.d and
issue a ./snort stop

In all actuality, this just kills the process.  Although, admittedly, it
appears a little more graceful to the user.

        For RedHat/Fedora, change to root and issue a service snort stop

Same here.

        For Windows, there should be an exe somewhere for stopping it,
though I have never used snort on windows.

        Hope this helps a little.

        -Jason

So, to succintly, and literally, answer the OP's question....No.