Snort mailing list archives

Oinkmaster installation for snort

From: Hubert Edward kIYIMBA <hekiyimba () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:35:14 -0800 (PST)

I installed oinkmaster to manage my snort rules. I configured it to send me mail after the download is complete and
also to backup my old rules prior to downloading the new set.My rules are in directory /etc/snort and I am using snort
version 2.3

  I have not received mail about the updates and the backup folder is empty. I checked in /var/log/messages and there
was no message about oinkmaster.Please assist.

  Below are my installation steps.

  cd /usr/local/src/
  mkdir oinkmaster
  mv oinkmaster-1.2.tar.gz oinkmaster
  cd oinkmaster
  tar –zxvf oinkmaster-1.2.tar.gz
  cd oinkmaster 1.2
  cp oinkmaster.pl  /usr/bin
  cp oinkmaster.conf  /etc/
  cd contrib.
  cp makesidex.pl /etc
  chown -R snort:snort /etc/snort
  vi /etc/oinkmaster.conf

  At this stage I edited the line to look like below and inserted my oinkcode

  url = http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/oinkcode /snortrules-snapshot-2.3.tar.gz

  cd /etc
  ./makesidex.pl /etc/snort/rules >autodisable.conf
  mkdir /etc/snort/backup
  chown -R snort:snort /etc/snort/backup
  cd /usr/bin
  touch oinkdaily
  chmod +x oinkdaily
  vi oinkdaily

  I added the following line to the oinkdaily file
  oinkmaster.pl -C /etc/oinkmaster.conf -C /etc/autodisable.conf -o /etc/snort/rules -b
  /etc/snort/backup 2>&1 | mail -s "oinkmaster" hkiyimba () bou or ug

  Then I scheduled snort to download the rules

  crontab –u snort –e
  30 5 *  *  * /usr/bin/oinkdaily

  Any help will be appreciated

 Yahoo! Mail