Snort mailing list archives

Re: Response 1: Barnyard trouble acid_db

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:12:06 -0600

--On Thursday, February 23, 2006 15:34:55 -0500 "Jacob, Raymond A Jr" <raymond.jacob () navy mil> wrote:

I believe I downloaded the packages from
ftp.bsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/All/barnyard-0.2.
0.tbz  48303 Oct 12 13:36 and
ftp.bsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/All/barnyard-0.2.0.t
bz     48329 Feb 12 11:43

I tried both packages and they could not find the acid_db plugin.

Thanks.  I'll d/l them and try to figure out what's going on.

Next I took your suggestion and cd to /usr/ports/security/barnyard/
and ran make install.

ports kept trying to fetch mysq-client-4.13.tar.gz from alot of strange
places.

The port Makefile assumes that bsd.ports.mk will make the decision about what version of mysql-client to use.

I am thinking because I have not run cvsup yet  that
the ports tree is out of date. I can not run cvsup until after hours and
I forgot to run it last night.

Definitely cvsup first.

Next:
I downloaded the package:
 ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/databases/my
sql-client-4.1.13.tbz

then ran pkg_add -f mysql-client-4.1.13.tbz. I had already installed
mysql-client-4.1.16_1 to get snort to send alerts to the mysql database
before I decided to try barnyard. so I had to force the install of
mysql-client-4.1.13.tbz.

I don't know why barnyard requires mysql-client-4.1.13 and did not use
mysql-client-4.1.16_1 in /var/db.

It most likely has to do with when the pkg was built. That's why I never use packages.

I typed: cd
/usr/ports/security/barnyard,ran make, make install, and clean. I ran
barnyard.I did not get mysql errors anymore that I had with version that
I downloaded from www.snort.org/dl/barnyard and barnyard is attempting to
contact the mysql database.

A few questions if I may:
Question1: It is my understanding one can have more than one instance of
barnyard running.

Yes, this is true.

 Does each barnyard require its own unifed log/alert
file or can multiple barnyard processes share the same output file?

I don't believe they can share the same output file. I'm not certain about that, though. (I'm also not sure why you would want to do that.)

Question2: How do I turn the /doc/USAGE file into a man page?

You don't, unless you know a utility that will convert text files into man pages.

Question3: Where is the MASTER_SITE info kept for mysql? I would like to
speed up install when I do this on another box instead of typing
make MASTER_SITE_OVERIDE
=ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/databases/
in the /usr/ports/database/mysql41-client directory.

They're defined in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk. Search for MASTER_SITE_MYSQL in the file. The list is immediately below that. If there's a site that's not working, please let the folks at FreeBSD know so they can fix or remove it.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member