Snort mailing list archives

Re: Checkpoint Acquisition and the future of Open Source Snort

From: Jennifer Steffens <jennifer.steffens () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:20:44 -0400

Both Marty and Gil Shwed, Check Point CEO, have commented on this. In a letter to customers and partners, Gil Shwed wrote "Check Point is fully committed to all existing Sourcefire and Check Point product lines and the Snort open source community, and we look forward to further growing these solutions in the future."

In addition, Mary wrote a message to the community that states "Snort is now and will continue to be free to end-users. We will continue to develop and distribute the Snort engine under the GPL, improve and document the program to stay on the cutting edge and expand the snort.org web site. The community continues, as always, to be important to us as a group of people who use the code pervasively throughout the entire Internet, report on problems and make suggestions and contributions to the project. Check Point is very excited about continuing Sourcefire’s involvement with the open source community!"

You can read Marty's full message at http://www.snort.org/about_snort/msg_from_marty/mr_100605.html

Cheers,
Jennifer

--
Jennifer Steffens
Director, Product Management - Snort

Sam Evans wrote:
I think this email is directed more at the Sourcefire folks more so than the list, but I am curious as to the future of Open Source Snort now that Checkpoint is in the mix? Will it remain Open Soruce?