Snort mailing list archives

Re: Check Point Software Technologies to Acquire Sourcefire

From: Murali Raju <protocoljunkie () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:05:22 -0400

I agree. Normally I'm skeptic, but Marty and Sourcefire have continued to
support the true spirit of Open Source unlike others. Congrats!

_Raju

On 10/6/05, Richard Harman <snort () richardharman com> wrote:

The good thing is that Snort is GPL. If CheckPoint/Sourcefire decides
to take the current code base and relicense it, we've still got what's
been previously released under the GPL. You can't take back licensing
something under the GPL, that's why it's been called "viral". Push come
to shove, Snort could be forked from the current GPL codebase into a new
project. It's happened before in other situations.

SourceFire is a good company, and I don't think we've got anything to
worry about.

carlopmart () gmail com wrote:
I think that this is a bad news. I known CheckPoint (I take working with
them arround 6 years with CheckPoint products) and I think that snort
stopped being GPL/free in one or two years maximum ....

i repeat: bad notice for GNU community.

Sorry for my bad english.

Jennifer Steffens wrote:

Hi Everyone,

We are very excited to announce that Check Point has signed an
agreement to acquire Sourcefire. We understand that this announcement
affects not only Sourcefire but the community as well. We want to be
sure to put everyone's mind at ease that Snort is now and will
continue to be free to end-users. We will continue to develop and
distribute the Snort engine under the GPL, improve and document the
program to stay on the cutting edge and expand the snort.org<http://snort.org>web
site. The community continues, as always, to be important to us as a
group of people who use the code pervasively throughout the entire
Internet, report on problems and make suggestions and contributions to
the project. Check Point is very excited about continuing
Sourcefire's involvement with the open source community!

Read a message from Marty Roesch, Snort creator, to the community at
http://www.snort.org/about_snort/msg_from_marty/mr_100605.html.

Regards,
Jennifer

--