Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help with alert_unixsock issues

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk_Geschke () genua de>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:32:37 +0100

Hi James,

I am experimenting with the alert_unixsock function.

I have had a read of the code and it suggests to me that a socket called
snort_alert should be created in the log directory (/var/log/snort).

The socket seems not to be automatically created and I see the error:

/var/log/snort/snort_alert file doesn't exist or isn't writeable!

when I start Snort.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I would have thought the socket
would have been created automatically?  Is there syntax for the output
plug-in that I am missing?

that is easy: One process has to provide the unix socket and one process
writes to it. Snort does not provide a socket so you have to write a
progam which creates this unix sockets and reads from it.

Snort will then write all alerts to this socket...

Best regards

Dirk