Snort mailing list archives

Re: send flex-resp through interface which has no ip-address!?

From: G Ramon Gomez <gene () gomezbrothers com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:08:48 -0800

Hiya Elmar,
I had to solve this issue yesterday. Well, maybe not solve, but I got a funky work-around going. The way I got it working was by assigning an IP that was invalid for the network to the previously IP-less interface (I essentially told the OS that the CIDR net was a little larger than it really was, then assigned an IP just outside of the legal range for that network to the interface), then adding an entry for the network's default gateway to the routing table. This isn't perfect; hosts within my "expanded" CIDR net, but that are actually remote, will never get RSTs, but it has the benefit of snort still being somewhat transparent to scans (at least remotely), and getting those RSTs where they need to go.

- Ramon

Elmar Bschorer wrote:

how can i manage, that snort sends felxible resps through e.g. eth0
which has no ip-address assigned!?