Snort mailing list archives

Re: What tool? Fastest way to generate port info to build acl protection?

From: sekure <sekure () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:04:29 -0500

You can also try PADS http://passive.sourceforge.net/

On 11/18/05, Turnquist,Wayne <WayneTurnquist () catholichealth net> wrote:
and the company router where the two routers are linked by a cisco hub. I have another cisco hub which links the
cat4006 and the other interface of our router. We have AD and exchange in the company where we have AD controllers
and a exchange server at our site that communicates with the company's main servers.  I have two snort boxes running
on windows xp on each of the hubs.

1st Goal: To map-document all systems and business traffic that needs to cross to/from our site.
2nd Goal: Create cisco acl to install on our router to permit for now all needed ports for goal number 1 and deny
everything else
3rd Goal: Modify goal number 2 acl's to include the source and destination ip numbers

Looking: for the best/fastest low cost way to generate the info for goal number 1.

Is there a app (prefer windows app if there is one) that can be ran in sniffer mode on my hubs that could generate
all ports being used, port-ip, port-dest-ip, etc where i could then quickly come up with our business model traffic
pattern to create a baseline acl security?

Does any one know where there are any template acl's to start this project?

Has any one used xacta acl manager program for controlling cisco acl's? Is there a better cheaper solution instead of
this application?

thanks ahead of time
wt