Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort performance and maintenance

From: Hubert Edward kIYIMBA <hekiyimba () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:20:29 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the Advice, i archived the alerts in a different database. I am currently reviewing the signatures. the
machine performance has improved exponentially.

NB: those who face a similar challenge in future may refer to:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rdanyliw/snort/acid_archive_instruct.html

and www.mysql.com plus the snortinstallation manualas references

Thanks

HUBERT

Our World Is Here <info () lucretia ca> wrote:
Watch, read, learn.

There are no hard rules for this, time and understanding will allow you to
improve this.

Typical answer, reduce the rules you trigger alerts on, 5400+ rules is
crazy.

Remove alerts to a archive or delete them after a period of time. There is
no statute of limitations on this stuff (unless you have legal proceedings
in place in which case you should have made many copies of this data for
that purpose).

I have my main sensor on a Pentium II 350MHZ with 768MB of RAM, and a 9GB
hard disk and have no issues with performance. The database (logging) is on
a much faster server since I have many sensors. A PIII with 1GB of RAM and
a huge hard disk doesn't hurt.

As for tweaking MSSQL I wouldn't use this myself, I use Postgresql.

Cheers,

James Friesen, CIO

Lucretia Enterprises
"Our World Is Here..."