Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to proceed

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:05:21 -0500

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 17:29 +0100, Ralf Spenneberg wrote:
Hi,

Hi-

you configured everything correctly. This is a shortcoming in Base.

I hate to disagree... but my understanding is different.

The alert was generated by a preprocessor and not a signature. Base
cannot yet distinguish between these alerts and always tries to lookup a
signature at the snort homepage. All sids below 100 definitely are
preprocessor alerts and are not accessable through the snort homepage.

Snort does not log the Generator id to the database, so BASE can not
read it.  A patch was submitted to Sourcefire to include this field in
the future with a schema change to 107.  So far that patch has not been
applied.  I know that there is some concern for other projects not
knowing how to handle that field.

Ralf

Please correct me if I am wrong, but we are currently holding a patch to
fix this once the 107 change goes in.

Kevin

BASE Project Lead
http://base.secureideas.net