Snort mailing list archives

hardware specification

From: Mihai Petre <MPetre () morneausobeco com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 16:04:37 -0400

Hi guys,

I need to specify a machine(s) to replace our existing 3 sensors.
The new configuration  will require 8-9 sensors.

I was looking at Dell Poweredge 1850 with a dual CPU 3Ghz , 3GB RAM and 2
quad Intel 1000 cards.
The links to monitor are 1GB but only on 4 of them the traffic can go as
high as 1GB.

The PF_RING patch (from Luca Deri - www.ntop.org ) let you specify the
buffer to be used on each interface.
Setting the value to 100MB should work fine I guess.

But what about the horsepower needed to process 9 sensors (with barnyard
sending to another machine).
Will dual CPU and 3GB of RAM be enough ?
________________
Thank you,
Mihai Petre
Technology Analyst
Tel.: (514) 878-9090, ext. 8191
http://www.morneausobeco.com

Le présent courriel et toutes les pièces jointes contiennent de
l'information privée, exclusive, privilégiée et/ou confidentielle
s'adressant uniquement au destinataire. Toute utilisation, copie ou
distribution non autorisée du contenu de ce courriel est strictement
interdite. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message et que vous
l'avez reçu par erreur, veuillez le supprimer et en informer immédiatement
l'expéditeur.

This e-mail communication, including all attachments, may contain private,
proprietary, privileged and/or confidential information and is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, copying
or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, and have received it in
error, please delete it and notify the sender immediately.