Snort mailing list archives

Snort / Base installation problem -- Related to IPTABLES -- I think

From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes () mcaschool net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 06:50:55 -0500

Good Morning Folks

Ive been working my way through Patrick Harper's install for Fedora, and
everything is working well except for IPTABLES

Somehow I have gotten something messed up, so that I cannot get access
to the webpages hosted on the snort box -- either by http or https, the
problem goes away when I turn off IPTABLES

here is the iptables file

[root@Moatmonster snort]# cd /etc/sysconfig
[root@Moatmonster sysconfig]# cat iptables
# Firewall configuration written by system-config-securitylevel
# Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:RH-Firewall-1-INPUT - [0:0]
-A INPUT -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
-A FORWARD -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type any -j REJECT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j
ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 443 -j
ACCEPT
COMMIT
[root@Moatmonster sysconfig]#

Here is the output of iptables -L

[root@Moatmonster sysconfig]# iptables -L
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
REJECT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp any
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:https
[root@Moatmonster sysconfig]#

Right now I have the firewall turned off (the box is still in setup, not
production) so that I can continue to work on it, but if you can point
out my problem, I would be most thankful

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11