Snort mailing list archives

Re: recommendation for monitoring traffic

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:39:39 -0400

John Friedman wrote:
Hi all,

Curently, I span the firewall  port  on teh core switch to the snort
monitoring port only  for Rx traffic.  The snort is placed inside
firewall.I manage it through the second NIC on the Snort box.

Should I
monitor both TX/Rx traffic?

Yes. If you only monitor "half the stream" most snort rules, anything using the
"established" keyword, will never match.

This is because stream4 won't see the full tcp 3-way handshake and will assume
the packets it sees are just garbage and not a part of a real connection.

If I want to exclude one server from the monitoring segment, what's the
syntax?

Adding a BPF such as "host not 192.168.1.1" to your snort command line should
work nicely.

Thanks in advance,

John

BTW, I tried to exclude on server from this motoring segment

eh?