Snort mailing list archives

Re: BO preproc exploit published

From: Murali Raju <protocoljunkie () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:42:45 -0400

95% of the snort sensors I build use OpenBSD and the rest are a mix or
Linux(PAX/GrSecurity)/FreeBSD (for in-line). The exploit did not work on any
of these.

_Raju

On 10/26/05, byte_jump <bytejump () gmail com> wrote:

On 10/26/05, Paul Melson <pmelson () gmail com> wrote:

I saw that in the release notes. To date, my sensors have not detected
any
attempts to exploit the bo preproc. I suppose that now that there's
publicly available code that I ought to test it. ;)

PaulM

I didn't spend a ton of time on it, but I used the exploit code
against a Snort 2.4.0 Snort box with the BO preprocessor enabled.
Snort had been compiled with the SPP gcc (formerly ProPolice) and was
on a 2.4 kernel with grsecurity/PaX. It wasn't a scientific test by
any means, but the exploit did not work and seemed to fail due to
ProPolice (this is a stack-based buffer overflow). The exploit did
work against a similar server without ProPolice and grsecurity.

Honestly, I'm very disappointed that 1) Sourcefire doesn't use
ProPolice and grsecurity on their sensors, and 2) that Snort.org<http://Snort.org>does
not encourage folks to use those security mechanisms, too. Those
security measures certainly seemed to work in my less-than-scientific
test.