Snort mailing list archives

Re: Bleeding Snort rules and Sourcefire Official rules

From: Eric Hines <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:37:23 -0500

Hinsuk,

Consider the Bleeding-edge rules to augment your rules from snort.org.
In some cases they fill some gaps that may exist in the Snort.org
signature base (e.g. Virus and Spyware).. The bleeding-edge spyware
signatures are tremendously accurate, we have several federal customers
that rely on them heavily for tracking down spyware infected machines.

As the name states, consider them to be on the bleeding-edge of things.
Test your rules before applying them enterprise wide.

In summary, no Snort deployment is complete without rulesets from
bleeding-edge :)

Best Regards,

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
Headquarters:           1095 Pingree Road
                        Suite 213
                        Crystal Lake, IL 60014

Virginia Office:        4524 Waverly Crossing Lane
(DoD/Intelligence)      Chantilly, Va. 20151
                        TS/SCI Cleared Personnel
Web Site:               http://www.appliedwatch.com
Tel:                    (877) 262-7593
Direct:                 (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Cell:                   (847) 456-6785
- -

Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor wrote:
HinSuk,

I run both sets of rules.  I do not find too much overlap ? usually when
one is turned into an ?official? rule ? then they pull it out of the
bleeding set pretty quickly.

Krisa