Snort mailing list archives

Re: execute external program

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:13:29 -0400

Gaston Martres wrote:

I was wondering if is possible to execute an external program when a event or alert in snort is triggered.

Look into snortsam (http://snortsam.net).  This lets alerts be forwarded to snortsam, which in turn can invoke a number of
plugins, primarily to automate firewall configuration in response to alerts.  There is no generic plugin [yet] to invoke an
external, but if you grab the source you can tweak some of the plugins to do just that (the Tracker SMTP plugin, for one,
invokes an external script, I've tweaked it to do this).

Jeff