Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: [Snort-sigs] Bad escape sequence?

From: "Ali Eghtessadi" <ali () babcockbrown com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:16:42 -0700

Speedy gonzales CIO

sekure wrote:

That was what I tried after i fired off the email and it worked.

Thanks!

On 9/30/05, Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com> wrote:
you may not need to escape it anymore.  remove the "\"

On Sep 30, 2005, at 9:31 AM, sekure wrote:

I have a rule in my local.rules that i picked up somewhere on the
mailing lists:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"IE suspicious
access to WSH (Windows Script Host)"; flow: from_server,established;
content:"object"; nocase; content:"id"; nocase; content:"wsh"; nocase;
content:"classid"; nocase; content:"clsid\:"; nocase;
content:"F935DC22-1CF0-11D0-ADB9-00C04FD58A0B"; nocase; content:"\/";
nocase; content:"object"; nocase; reference: url,
http.www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Jun/gee20040610025522.htm;
classtype:misc-attack; sid:1000042; rev:1;)

I just upgraded from 2.4.0 to 2.4.2 and upon launching snort i get:
"bad escape sequence starting with "\/". Fatal Error, Quitting.."
This used to work with 2.4.0 and before.  What changed?

Thanks,

--
Ali Eghtessadi
Chief Information Officer

This email message may contain information that is confidential and proprietary to Babcock & Brown or a third party. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy the original and any copies of the original message. Babcock & Brown takes measures to protect the content of its communications. However, Babcock & Brown cannot guarantee that email messages will not be intercepted by third parties or that email messages will be free of errors or viruses.
If you do not wish to receive any further e-mail from Babcock & Brown, please send an email to opt-out () babcockbrown
com.