Snort mailing list archives

Re: oinkmaster - disabling rules without getting new updates

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:05:00 +0100

--On 19 September 2005 17:12 -0400 "Humes, David G." <David.Humes () jhuapl edu> wrote:

I just setup oinkmaster to update our rules.  Let's say that a rule
suddenly starts generating thousands of false positive alerts, and we
want to disable the rule.  Normally I would add a disablesid line to the
conf file and run oinkmaster.  But, that's going to update my rules with
the latest rule set, which may or may not be what I want.  If it's late
on a Friday afternoon, I don't want to introduce new rules that may false
positive over the weekend.  The oinkmaster documentation is fairly
insistent about not editing the rules files directly.  But, one approach
is to edit the appropriate rules file and restart snort, and also edit
the oinkmaster.conf file to make certain the rule does not get
re-enabled.  Another possibility is to run oinkmaster using only local
copies of the rules archives so it doesn't update from the URLs.  But,
that introduces an extra step of having to manually download the updates.

Why not write a couple of scripts to wrap oinkmaster; one that uses wget to grab the updates to local files first before runs oinkmaster, and another that uses pre-existing local files?

I've already done the former, and I'm tempted to comment out a couple of lines to create the latter to handle the very scenario you've described.

--Dave

Best Regards,
Alex.