Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort logging to MySQL but not to syslog

From: Bahya NASSR EDDINE <bahya_nassr () yahoo fr>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:56:10 +0200 (CEST)

--- "Dahlmann, Stephan" <Stephan.Dahlmann () zapp com> a
écrit :

Hi all,
Is there a problem when both ouput plugins (database
and alert_syslog)
are activated?

No, there should be no problem when logging snort
alerts to both a database and syslog. I am working on
the same situation and everything is working
correctly.

I actually log snort alerts to a file different from
/var/log/messages (in addition to a database). I then
used a LOG_LOCAL facility:

1.In snort.conf, add the line: “output alert_syslog:
LOG_LOCAL0”
2.then, in syslog.conf:
modify the line that containes /var/log/messages and
add local0.none, so that snort alerts won't be logged
to /var/log/messages file.
add the line "local0.* /path/to/snort_log_file", snort
alerts will then be logged to the
/path/to/snort_log_file file”.

I hope this would be handy.

Regards