Snort mailing list archives

nubie first attempt to start snort failed

From: "James Beistle" <beistle () swbell net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:38:28 -0500

Unusual System Events
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Sep 12 22:59:36 server1 snort: Initializing daemon mode
Sep 12 22:59:36 server1 kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Sep 12 22:59:36 server1 snort: PID path stat checked out ok, PID path set to
/var/run/
Sep 12 22:59:36 server1 snort: Writing PID "11060" to file
"/var/run//snort_eth0.pid"
Sep 12 22:59:36 server1 snort: Parsing Rules file /usr/bin/snort.conf
Sep 12 22:59:36 server1 snort: FATAL ERROR:  unknown preprocessor
"http_decode"
Sep 12 22:59:36 server1 kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode

Point me toward faqs or old messages that will help
Linux RH dedicated apache server with Plesk is my control pnl
Running apf,bfd,portsentry,psad, almost snort
Snort shares rules with psad

Had trouble accessing mysql because of Plesk /// no data base implemented in
the firewall logs or rules/confs

Primary application is Php Nuke and html static pages

Jim