Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-sigs] bad traffic in syn packet

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:17:14 -0500

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 09:10 -0400, John Hally wrote:
Need a quick sanity check here.  I'm seeing alerts for traffic in syn
packets, and all are destined for TCP/53.  Is it possible that data is
being piggy-backed in the syn packet on purpose and the traffic is
benign?  I don't see any other anomalies to or from these hosts, but
wanted to make sure that I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Heya John,

what is the data in question? Anything identifiable? If not, these could
be probes from load-balancers. Perhaps you can see a pattern by src or
dst?

Cheers,
Frank

--
Ciscogate: Shame on Cisco. Double-Shame on ISS.