Snort mailing list archives

Re: Correlation on Snort Events

From: Jason Brvenik <jasonb () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 09:19:48 -0400

Kamal Ahmed wrote:
Hi,

What snort can do is (as per my understanding) is to generate events
based on rules, or to sniff/snoop network traffic, this is all well and
good, but I do not see a person going thru every log message to find out
meaningful information, regarding what the packet actually meant to do
(in case of any intrusion type attack). Is there a correlation engine ,
which can have rules like:

That is exactly what intrusion analysts do. Correlation engines do exist for the larger effort. For Open Source you might want to check out ossim.

If message A is received which contains X text, and within N amount of
time another message B is received on the wire, containing Y text ,
generate an log message , and also send an e-mail to (let's say Security
Administrator)

You can already achieve this in large part within snort itself by using flowbits. The time constraint is pretty useless for detecting actual attackers and for automated events is generally not needed.