Snort mailing list archives

Re: Reload rules with out restarting snort completly

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:51:19 -0500

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 08:47 +0200, Andreas Östling wrote:
kill -HUP will make Snort execve() itself which is basically the same as
stopping and starting it.

Right. But it doesn't return from the first instance, so if called from
a script, it doesn't continue in the script.

 What is more important is that it only works
if you run Snort as root and non-chrooted, which you should never
ever do.

Good point, didn't consider that. But that wasn't the original question
either ;)

So if kill -HUP works for you, you are doing something
seriously wrong.

Nope, I kill it and let daemontools send me an email and restart it.
(and if it does that over and over, and flood our IRC channel with
restart messages, then I know I made a typo somewhere :)

Cheers,
Frank

--
Ciscogate: Shame on Cisco. Double-Shame on ISS.