Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help newb understand how Snort is supposed to run.

From: "John C. Silvia" <john () cadamier com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:28:34 -0600

Chris W. Parker wrote:

My intent is to get a better idea of what kind of traffic is traversing
my network. I don't know what kind of attacks I'm on the look out for
but I was hoping Snort would let me know (using the rule files). Of
course I expect to learn more as I go along.
Chris, another tool you should take a look at is called ntop. When run, ntop sniff's the network and categorizes the traffic by type, source, destination, protocol, Etc. It's not an IDS, but it provides a nice web-based interface for seeing what's going on through traffic summaries.

Another neat tool for seeing what's going on in a network is a live view tool called etherape, which draws the traffic as lines connecting IP's, thickness in bandwidth, protocol in color.

Both of these tools are excellent for seeing, at the most basic level, what is going on. They'll also tell you what kind of attacks you should be looking for as well.

Once you have an idea what's going on, Snort can then look "under the hood" for you - but analysis is still best done with a tool made for doing just that. Just running snort with all of the default signatures will provide you with huge haystack of data - and finding any needles won't be as easy as you'd think without a proper analysis tool.

-js