Snort mailing list archives

Re: MYSQL database maintenance for Snort

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:01:33 -0400

Byron Pezan wrote:
How do you folks maintain your MYSQL databases?  I'm looking for general
database maintenance advice and scripts to automate the process.  I
think I'd like to archive anything older than 7 days to keep the
production database to a manageable and speedy size.  I'm not sure how
long to keep the archives though.  What do you guys have to say?

There is the archivePlus script (forget where I got it) that I have almost gotten around to try.  Unless there is some
magic I haven't discovered yet, you have to manually build the archive database[s] for it, and go through the same
steps you did in setting up the regular snort database.  I have manually created and use an archive database, but have
not loaded one yet with archivePlus.

Once you get that started though, you can use the BASE 1.1.3+ to manage things.  You can then use the "actions" option
of "archive alert (copy)" and "archive alert (move)" to load things into your archive database.  Yes, you can do this
with ACID too, but the bonus of BASE (IMHO) is it now has a home page option to "Use Archive Database" and presto -
you're now looking at your archive database with BASE, and the home page option changes to "Use Alert Database" to go
back to normal.  It's quite nice.

Jeff