Snort mailing list archives

Re: connecting snort at mysql

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:34:07 -0400

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 01:55, deny wrote:
good morning everybody

i try to connecting snort at mysql and i get this message :

ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

mysql (and phpmyadmin) are launched with the socket socket          =
/tmp/mysql.sock

how can i tell snort to listen to this socket and not the default
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

thanks a lot

Hi-

Two ways that I can think of, and doing a basic google search seems to
agree.

One create a symlink from /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock to /tmp/mysql.sock.

Two, change the my.cnf to put the file into the /var/lib/mysql directory
and restart mysql.

I am not aware of a way o tell snort directly, but if I am wrong could
someone correct me.<g>

Hope that helps,
Kevin
BASE Project Lead