Snort mailing list archives

Selective pcaps on demand?

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:19:29 -0400

I've been running snort for quite some time, snort+snortsam+mysql+base.  I am only using the database output plugin,
and things have been fine.  But...

Is there a way to get pcap [tcpdump] captures of a specific signature?

I tried using the rule "logto:" but that doesn't seem to work, never saw a file created anywhere (and yes, the rule
fired, got the msg).

I tried setting up a new logtype:

ruletype rogue
{
   type log
   output log_tcpdump: rogues
}

And using "rogue" rather than "alert" in the rule, this eventually sort-of worked, it created a logfile called
"snort.[a long number]" which started with a dump of a matching packet, but then also had dumps of every other alert as
well.

What am I missing here?  Can't you do this from a single snort instance?

Jeff