Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re[4]: unified format

From: "Roland Turner (SourceForge)" <raz.fs.arg () countersnipe com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:35:51 +0100 (BST)

Igor Belikov said:

- >8 - - >8 - - >8 -  part of snort.conf  - >8 - - >8 - - >8 -

output alert_unified: filename snort.alert, limit 128
output log_unified: filename snort.log, limit 128

You only need the latter.

startproc $SNORT_BIN -d -D -i any -l $SNORT_LOG -c $SNORT_CONF

startproc $BARNYARD_BIN -D -c $BARNYARD_CONF -d $SNORT_LOG -f
snort.alert -w $SNORT_LOG/barnyard.waldo

Looks reasonable, except that you want snort.log, not snort.alert.

When I use "-f snort.alert" - I get alert events in DB, but don't get
payload. When I use "-f snort.log" - I don't get alert events in DB.

Ah, this may be the problem. If the rule action is "alert" then the data
presented to the output plugins does not include the payload. There is no
configuration of anything that can get around this, IIRC. You need to be
setting the actions to "log" if you want the payload.

- Raz