Snort mailing list archives

Re: Bleeding Rules not detecting

From: Eric Maheo <eric.maheo () appliedwatch com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:15:00 -0500

To all:

Until recently the bleeding edge rules worked great, little noisy, but great none the less.  Then, after doing an
update about 1 month ago, the alerts stopped showing up.  Due to time constraints I have not been able to
troubleshoot this recently.

Does your snort log is complaining about something?
Bleeding rules work fine. So I would look for elsewhere the source of
the problem.

Snort Version 2.4
My snort config:

var HOME_NET x.x.0.0/22
var EXTERNAL_NET ANY
.
.
.
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-malware.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-virus.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-policy.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-p2p.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-exploit.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-web.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-attack_response.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-dos.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-scan.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-inappropriate.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-custom.rules
include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-game.rules

Any ideas as to how to get these to work again?  Or good ways to test them?  My snort-rules emails used to send up
false positives, which I am not getting anymore.

TIA

Brian Blake
Security Technician
American Background Information Services, Inc.

Eric Maheo
Vice President of Engineering,

Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
1134 N. Main St.