Snort mailing list archives

Re: Software from SourceFire is free?

From: Jason Brvenik <jasonb () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:47:58 -0400

Sourcefire is the company that develops, maintains, and releases Snort. We accept patches against Snort and coordinate the integration of those patches where appropriate.

Sourcefire Intrusion appliances also use the Snort detection engine that we make available as an open source tool through http://www.snort.org - Sourcefire appliances and the related software other than Snort are not freely available and are sold as a commercial product.

Sourcefire also maintains the Official Rules for Snort through our VRT and makes the most recent rules available to Sourcefire Customers and Snort.org subscribers immediately and 5 days later for free to the registered Snort.org community.

Hope this clears it up.

Regards,
Jason.

Gutemberg A. Vieira wrote:
Hi all,

I have another one! I did not find any software related to the appliances sold
by SourceFire. It is just a doubt, I do not want a flamewar! :) Their software
is proprietary, right?

[]s
Guto

_______________________________________________________ Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora! http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/