Snort mailing list archives

Re: Quick Barnyard question...

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:41:07 -0500

--On Thursday, August 11, 2005 3:12 PM -0400 Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu> wrote:

Probably stoooopid question, but I can't hold back any longer:

I'm starting to look into barnyard (number of sensors is growing, need to
centralize reporting, moving toward sguil as a goal...) but I haven't
been able to find a good quick overview of what it does.  I know it
accepts unified alert files and can feed databases for later analysis,
but specifically:

* Is there a Barnyard "master" that sits on the database server,
collecting alert files from all the sensors and loading into a database?

* Is there a Barnyard "agent" that moves unified alerts from the sensor
to the "master"?

* Or does Barnyard just run on each sensor and writes back SQL to a
common backend database server?

That depends on you. Barnyard parses unified log files and submits the data to the db. That means you can send the logs to the db server and run barnyard there or you can run barnyard on each sensor, parse the logs there and send the data to the db remotely.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member