Snort mailing list archives

RE: Remote syslogging with multiple interfaces

From: John Hally <JHally () epnet com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:15:04 -0400

The traffic will only go out the 'sniff' interface if you have an ip address
assigned to it (don't need to) and it's the first address in the routing
table (netstat -rn) or that interface is addressed with the same network as
the syslog server (ie 192.168.40.x)

My advice is to just start the sniff interface without an ip address:

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 up promisc

If syslog is still not picking up the entries, this is not the problem.  Is
syslog configured to accept other hosts?  I don't think it is by default
(redhat anyway)

JH.