Snort mailing list archives

Re: SYN Proxy

From: Daniel Cid <daniel.cid () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:34:22 -0400

Your Linux box running snort in inline mode can't be considered a firewall. By the default, snort-inline allows everything and only block what it detects as "wrong". You BSD firewall should block everything and only allow what is necessary on your network. It's two different devices doing different things. Do not expect your IDS (snort inline is basically an IDS with a blocking response) to do what
your firewall should be doing.

Daniel

Xavier Cabrera wrote:

Hello:

Thanks for all your answers. Wel i think too the best aproach for this is doing on iptables like Will say.. but if we really want a IPS with snort maybe we can start to think on that solution. Maybe people of sourcefire can plant this solution for future releases.

If snort in future can handle the connections with syn proxy or (seudo syn proxy) validating the real one's before they can pass can start to think in the best IPS of the World

Well, i have to continue with my two boxes.... Like Matt say... right now i have a Linux-Snorted behind a BSD.... and that is not elegant.... A firewall behind another one?

Regards

Xavier Cabrera.

Will Metcalf wrote:

I could think of a way to do this, it probably wouldn't be very clean
and would more than likely require an ip stack to be loaded on your
inline box.

This is really something that should be handled in netfilter rather
than in snort-inline.  If packets make it to the queue and you have a
lot of spoofed packets your DoS isn't going to be on the end host your
trying to protect, it's going to be your inline box dealing with all
the damn context switching between user space and kernel space.

Regards,

Will